Iowa Select Farm's internship program was designed for students studying animal science, Ag studies or any other Ag-related field. The program is intended to prepare students for a successful career in pork production management.
Internship programs may last anywhere from 8 weeks – 4 months and will provide excellent, hands-on training in a variety of areas including commercial pork production (breed-to-wean and grow-finish options), research, agronomy and precision farming and engineering.
Currently, there are two different options for internship program duration ($13/hour)
1) Spring internship
2) Summer internship (includes free housing)
Qualified candidates must have the ability to work on a team, be accountable for reaching performance goals and possess a strong work ethic and desire to learn and understand the operational aspects, science, technology and leadership qualities needed to be a production manager within a commercial swine system.
Many members of our production management team began their career path with Iowa Select Farms as an intern or directly out of a community college or university. While they all have their own unique timeline for growth and learning experience, Iowa Select Farms has helped them exponentially increase their job skills, developed them into managers and outstanding leaders and then opened doors for them to advance upward.
Most commonly, students are placed in on-farm, production based internship experiences either in breed-to-wean production
Skills acquired throughout a grow-finish internship may include, but will not be limited to:
· Principles of early pig care including behavioral observation and proper feed, water, and health programs
· Principles of ventilation including proper zone heating, air inlet control and air exchange
· Principles of wean pig movements including animal handling, sorting by size and managing health pens
· Principles of feeder pig care including behavioral observation and proper feed, water, and health care programs
· Collaboration with the finishing and health services team on proper care and treatment programs
· Principles of marketing programs
· Employee/contractor management, personnel development and the importance of employee engagement
Skills acquired throughout a breed-to-wean internship may include, but will not be limited to:
· Principles of breeding, including body condition scoring, heat detection, artificial insemination and pregnancy checks
· Principles of farrowing and early-piglet care including cross-fostering, colostrum management, processing, vaccination and castration
· Monitoring and overseeing farm and equipment sanitation, supply orders, inventory and record keeping
· Employee management, personnel development and the importance of employee engagement
Leadership and professional development (summer internship option only):
Throughout a summer internship with Iowa Select Farms, interns will have the opportunity for leadership and professional development opportunities including:
· Young leaders panel
· Local cooperative tour
· Pork processing plant tour
· Senior leadership seminar
· Ride-alongs to explore other areas of company
Pathway after production internship:
Well over half of the interns who successfully complete the internship receive a full-time job offer for post-graduation and may have the opportunity to enter directly into the Production Leadership Program immediately upon hiring.
Additional program requirements:
· Animal science or related degrees and/or experience preferred
· Two-year community college or four-year university students are eligible
· All work locations in Iowa
· Potential college credit – Iowa Select Farms will work to accommodate collegiate internship requirements
· All interns must interview for the position and complete a background check and Predictive Index Assessment
Iowa Select Farms encourages all students who are seriously considering a career in swine production management to apply for a spot in our summer internship program.
For more information, please contact Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 641-648-4479Apply on company website